At the end of every month Little Miss’s preschool has a party day. For the first 1/2 hour of class the parents all sit in rows and the kids come up all lined up. They sing about what they have learned about in the past month. Last month they learned about dinosaurs and George Seurat. And my shy, quiet little girl was singing louder than all of the other kids.
She is growing up and changing so fast. She isn’t a baby or even a toddler anymore. She is this amazing person, just in mini. Learning and exploring the world without me. I’m so happy to see her get big and independent but it’s hard to let go. She has been with me almost every minute since she was born.
They also celebrate all the birthdays that happened that month. They sing happy birthday to each kid and they get a cupcake. The first month the cupcakes were plain white with a dollop of white frosting. No sprinkles, no color, generic cupcakes. I mentioned to the teacher that I would totally be happy to bake the cupcakes for the rest of the birthdays. I mean I am usually baking anyways.
So this month I made these s’mores cupcakes. Graham cracker crust, the best chocolate cupcakes and toasted marshmallow buttercream. Oh and sprinkles. I mean, it’s birthday party time.
These cupcakes were deeee-licious, as Little Miss says. The marshmallows in the buttercream make it thicker than normal and hard to pipe so just slather it on and dig in. Oh and sorry but no process pics this time. I had to bake at night and that doesn’t lend well for pretty pics.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3/4 c graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbs melted butter
The Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 c + 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1/4 + 2 tbs c cocoa powder - I used dutch processed
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 eggs - room temp
- 1/2 c strong coffee - can be warm
- 1/2 c buttermilk - room temp
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
Toasted Marshmallow Buttercream
- 2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c butter - room temp
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 3 tbs milk
- 16 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Move oven rack to the middle position. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Mix graham crackers and melted butter. Divide evenly between your 12 cupcakes liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or bowl of your mixer) add all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and mix for one minute.
- Add in all your wet ingredients (eggs, coffee, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla). Beat for 2 minutes with the paddle attachment (or by hand) for 2 minutes.
- Batter will be VERY thin, more a liquid than a batter
- Bake 15-17 minutes. (Mine were perfect at 17) That's it. Yes, seriously the best chocolate cake ever is that easy.
Toasted Marshmallow Buttercream
- Place oven on broil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut marshmallows on 1/2 and place on parchment. Place in the oven 1-2 minutes until browned. Watch them very closely.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Add in vanilla and sift in confectioners sugar.
- Mix slowly and add in milk until smooth. While the mixer is running on low add in your marshmallows. Put a good sized scoop on your cupcakes and add sprinkles.
- adapted from Sweetapolita and these