The rain has finally arrive. For the last 2 days it has not just been raining, but pouring. My shoes are soaked, my jackets are soaked, my dog is soaked. The air is so damp that nothing even dries. I love rain at night when you are inside curled up under a blanket all cozy and warm. Then and only then, is when rain is fabulous.
Oh… I did have my first lumberjack from Starbucks this weekend. It’s this awesome drink my fav barista, Brian, made for me. If he is working I will just walk in and say something like… “I want something venti and warm with non-fat milk” and he will just whip up something crazy and fabulous. If he ever quits Starbucks I will be lost… forever. If you want to bug my fav barista ever he’s on twitter @brianejrichards He is also the one who makes the mint chocolate chip ice cream frap which is TO DIE FOR!!
This cake is so warm and inviting. It just wants you to eat it up. It’s a dense cardamom spiked apple cake with a crisp/crumble topping and drizzled with caramel. It’s great with a cup of tea and totally acceptable for breakfast. The crisp topping actually lasted longer than I thought, about 3 days. It is great served at room temp or slightly warm and would be amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Caramel Apple Crisp Cake Recipe
- 2/3 c all purpose flour
- 2/3 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c butter - room temp - cubed
- 1/4 c large flake oats
Caramel Apple Cake
- 2 medium apples - peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs - room temp
- 1 c butter
- 1/4 c sour cream - room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk your flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oats together. Add in your butter and with a fork, or more easily your fingers press butter into dry mixture until butter is the size of hazelnuts. Place in the fridge while making your cake.
Caramel Apple Cake
- In a large bowl melt you butter. Add in your granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Stir and then set aside to come to room temperature.
- While your butter is cooling place your apples in a medium bowl and toss with cardamom and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Once your butter has come to room temperature add in your eggs one at a time, mixing to combined in between each egg. Stir in your sour cream
- Add in your bowl of dry ingredients in 3 additions, stirring in between.
- Once no more flour streaks remain fold in your apples.
- Place 1/2 the mixture into the prepared pan and top with 1/4 c of caramel sauce. (You won't get a caramelly centre but it adds flavor and sweetness to the cake).
- Top with the rest of the batter.
- Then add your crisp topping. Add it all. Trust me.
- Even out the crisp and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooked place on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled remove from the pan and drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce.
- Serve room temp or slightly warmed.