Roasted Banana Cupcakes with Fluff Frosting

12 Mar

I’ve had these in my head for a while.  Roasting banana and then putting them in cupcakes just seemed like the right thing to do.  I kept trying to save bananas but they would disappear before I could get them in the oven.  Finally I bought an obscene amount of banana and got them in the oven.  Success never tasted so sweet, so cute, or sprinkley.

I tried to be fancy with the frosting.  I used a ruffle tip.  I think they turned out pretty cute.  I made them mini so I could totally eat more.  I mean when they are mini have like 10 equals 1 regular size cupcake right?

Oh and then I added sprinkles.  Because everything is cuter with sprinkles.

VERDICT

Roasting the banana before adding it into the batter seems to give them a little deeper banana flavor.  These are banana cake cupcakes not muffins, or bread but cake fluffy, sweet cake.  The frosting just really tasted like vanilla buttercream but it didn’t get hard.  Even after 1 1/2 cups of marshmallow fluff it still didn’t really taste marshmallow-y.  I would either just make vanilla buttercream or marshmallow frosting.

Roasted Banana Cupcakes – 32 mini cupcakes

3/4 c roasted banana (about 2 medium bananas) – room temp *see below
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1 egg room temp
1/2 c butter – room temp
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c buttermilk – room temp

Marshmallow Fluff Frosting – makes enough for 12 minis plus a cup left over.

1/2 c butter – room temp
1 1/2 c marshmallow fluff
1 tbs vanilla
3 c confectioners sugar (more if you need to thicken your frosting)
1-2 tbs milk to thin

*How To Roast Banana

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Put bananas on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until the peels are black, they smell really good and the juices are seeping out.

Roasted Banana Cupcakes

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line mini muffin pans with cupcake liners.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In the bowl of a standing mixer cream together butter, brown sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes until light and well mixed, scraping down the bowl a couple times.  Scrape down the bowl then add your egg and banana.  Mix until combined.

Add 1/3 dry, 1/2 the buttermilk, 1/3 dry, the rest of the buttermilk and then the rest of the dry.  So basically, 3 dry, 2 wet.  Mix until well combined.  Fill your muffin cups 3/4 full.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Marshmallow Fluff Frosting

Beat butter until light and fluffy about 2-3 minutes.  Add in marshmallow fluff and mix again until combined.  Add in sugar and vanilla.  Beat until combined.  Add in milk to thin to a pipeable consistency.

To make the ruffles – I used a Wilton tip #102. ( rectangle opening – larger on one side, smaller on the other) I started at one end holding the larger side of the tip towards the cupcake and holding the icing bag on an angle zig zagged back and forth, repeating until the cupcake was covered.  Then I added some sprinkles, because everything is prettier with sprinkles.

For a much better tutorial on ruffles click over here.

Cupcakes – adapted from Canadian Living

Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting – from How Sweet Eats

Enjoy!

12 Responses to “Roasted Banana Cupcakes with Fluff Frosting”

1. DessertForTwo March 12, 2012 at 10:34 am #

These are adorable! I bet they taste great too! :)

2. Tina@flourtrader March 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Nice to find an actual banana cupcake that is just not another rendition of banana bread! Banana cake sounds heavenly. Also, I really like how you decorated these. I have never used a ruffle tip so I may try that next go round. Saving this recipe-yum!

3. Tracy March 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

These are so cute!! Love them!

4. Russell at Chasing Delicious March 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

These cupcakes are so cute! And I love the idea of roasting the banana. Yum!

5. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Love these! Roasting seems so good! And 10 totally equals one small. :)

6. Let Me Eat Cake March 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

you had me a fluff frosting :)

7. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 15, 2012 at 12:28 am #

Making banana anything is always a bit of a challenge because it’s not like you can just go to the store and buy a super ripe banana. You have to plan and buy it way in advance and then let it sit on the counter until it’s blacker than ever and then fruit fly party begins. It’s quite an image, right?

Anyway, it seems like you were successful with your ripe banana planning. I’ve never roasted bananas before so I’m super excited to give this a try!

• Shannon April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Actually, if you go to the store and ask the produce man for over-ripe bananas, they usually have some in the back And a lot of stores sell bags of overripe bananas for the specific purpose of banana bread. But yeah, you’re right about having to plan ahead. When I want banana bread, I want it NOW! LOL

8. Ashland April 9, 2012 at 8:59 am #

I made these for Easter and I have to say they were a hit. I pretty much followed this recipe to the t except I made my own buttermilk because I didn’t have any on hand and I baked these as regular size cupcakes about 25 degrees less for about 18 minutes and they turned out wonderful. Definitely a cupcake texture, but with a delicious banana flavor. Very Moist too! I filled these with banana cream and topped them with a whipped cream and caramel frosting. So yummy :)

• Christina @ ovenadventures April 12, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I’m so glad you like them.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Roasted Banana Cupcakes with Fluff Frosting « The Cupcake Blog - March 13, 2012

[...] and recipe available at Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures Posted by The Cupcake Connoisseur in Fruit Cupcakes and tagged with banana, cupcake, cupcake [...]

2. Gary Papa Run 5k Recap | pennpalrunner - June 16, 2014

[…] some friends in the city for brunch afterwards at Day by Day and spent the rest of the day baking (banana cupcakes from Oven Adventure, banana bread baked oatmeal from Budget Bytes, and chocolate chip scones […]